Thursday, August 15, 2013

Idiom of the Week!

I'm so excited to show you all this product! My students struggle daily to understand figurative language, especially idioms. I created an "Idiom of the Week" poster set to set up in your classrooms. Your students will be constantly exposed to various idioms used in everyday life. And I've provided a worksheet for your students to use to expand their understanding of the idiom. 


This product will be updated regularly. Currently, there are 25 idioms included and they are listed below. 


Each idiom has their own page. There is a picture illustrating the literal meaning of the idiom, the actual definition of the idiom, and sentences using the idiom. I've included both color and printer friendly black and white. 



The last page is a worksheet that includes a place to write the idiom for that week, write their definition, their own sentences, and draw a picture. Print out enough for all of your students to have a copy and hang them around your “idiom of the week” poster. Then you can combine each student’s pages into a book at the end of the year.


Here is how I plan to display this in my classroom. If you laminate both the construction paper and the idiom posters, you can use tape to easily remove the idiom each week and replace it with a new one. I plan to hang the worksheets around this poster to provide numerous examples of the idiom. It is a great way to do a working bulletin board!


You can download my Idiom of the Week posters here! If you snag it, be sure to leave me some feedback and let me know what idioms you want to see included in the next revision!

1 comment:

  1. OMG this is such a great idea!! This is going in my cart at TPT!! Wow love it!

    ReplyDelete