Sunday, January 5, 2014

Midway Point Recap!

Welp, I've done it! I've made it through the first half of my CF year!! I've had many trials and tribulations along the way, but overall have had the time of my life starting out on a job that I absolutely love. 

Here's a few things I learned along the way....


  • If you don't ask, it will never happen. When I got my room this summer, I didn't even have a real desk! After a few talks with the custodians and the principal I had a nice desk and my very own printer to boot (unfortunately it only prints black and white). And the ASHA convention that I went to this fall? I asked my school to help me pay for it and they offered to cover the entire cost of my registration and my hotel room! As the new person in a building, we tend to try to stay in the background and not ruffle too many feathers. But in order to get what we want (and sometimes need), we need to make our presence known. You never know what could happen because of it!
  • Not everyone is going to know (or appreciate) what you do. I thought that I was somehow the lucky SLP who was always appreciated by everyone in their building. My principal and vice principal both told me that they have no idea what I do but are so glad that I am there- if you don't remember my school hadn't had an SLP at all last year. I was getting along with the teachers and other staff. No one questioned my schedule and always let me pull kids from their rooms or worked with me on a time to reschedule. But one day I knocked on a teacher's door at the wrong time. I politely asked for two students, just like I do every Tuesday at that time. A few impolite words were given back to me and I offered to come back and get them at another time that was more convenient. A stern look and a few more not so nice words later I had the students in my speech room. I wish I knew what I did to set the teacher off, but I've come to realize that teachers have bad days just like us. Next time I notice a teacher in a bad mood, I'll do my best to avoid that room :)
  • Do as much as you can with other teachers. Everyone else at your school- or almost everyone else- has been there longer than you. And even if there are other new teachers, they already have a leg up on you. Grade level classroom teachers interact with each other every day. They have meetings to go to, curriculum to design, and students to discuss. Granted, we have all those things too, but definitely not to the extent they do. I have become very close to a group of 6th grade teachers at my school. No matter how many times I eat lunch with them, I will never know about everything they are talking about because I don't do what they do on a daily basis. BUT, don't give up on being their friend- if you don't push for it, no one else will. Ask to eat lunch with them. Hang out with them after school at a winery. Participate in the Secret Santa gift exchange. Help out with Grandparent's dinner or the Christmas program. You want to be on every teachers' good side (if you don't believe me, see one bullet up), and the only way to do that is to interact with them. 
  • Never stop learning. This bullet point may seem a bit obvious. I know you're thinking, we have to get CEU's every year, of course I will keep learning. But that's not entirely what I'm talking about. Yes, it is important to continue learning in our field because things are constantly changing. But it is also important to keep learning about our schools and our students. During a recent evaluation, my vice principal commended me on how well I knew the students she saw me provide therapy to during her evaluation. I knew what their interests were and how to keep them engaged in the session while obtaining maximum productions from them. I wish I could say I know all my students that well, but I don't. But, every day I'm with them, I learn just a little bit more. I learn which students want to play Candyland every time they come see me. I learn which students are motivated and which ones aren't. I learn how to handle behavior and attitude problems in my room. How do I do it? By interacting with them inside AND outside my room. Go stand in the hallway after lunch is out. Visit the gymnasium in the morning before the bell rings for school to start. Make your face known to your students outside your room and you'll be amazed at what can happen in your room.
Are you in your CF year too? Or are you a veteran? Any other advice, tips or tricks you have to offer? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment